Trivia Answers for December 2018 Topics
1. Federal regulation of immigration did not begin until ________.
2. People who are born in the United States are automatically considered “naturalized” citizens of the country.
3. The three major rights of a citizen guaranteed under the 14th Amendment are:
a) Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
b) Life, liberty and property
c) Life, liberty and the right to bear arms
4. U.S. citizens are expected to fulfill certain responsibilities, including:
a) Paying taxes
b) Registering for the draft
c) Following the laws of the land
d) All of the above
5. Who is the sponsor of H.R.140 (Birthright Citizenship Act of 2017), which was introduced in the House of Representatives on Jan. 3, 2017?
a) Rep. Ted Cruz (R-TX)
b) Rep. Steve King (R-IA)
c) Rep. Dick Durban (D-IL)
Balanced Budget Amendment
1. Of the three main categories of the United States federal budget, which category does Medicare fall under?
a) Mandatory spending
b) Discretionary spending
c) Interest on debt
2. Military and defense spending fall under mandatory spending.
3. In what year did the last government shutdown occur as a result of disagreement over government spending?
4. Since________, Congress has never passed more than a third of its regular appropriations bills on time.
5. According to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), annual mandatory spending will increase to about ___% of GDP by 2027.
6. In fiscal year 2017, of all federal outlays, mandatory spending accounted for ___% of all federal outlays while discretionary spending totaled about ___%.
a) 48%, 45%
b) 52%, 41%
c) 63%, 30%