Trivia Answers for February 2020 Issues
Longer School Day
1. Per the National Center for Education Statistics’ 2015–16 National Teacher and Principal Survey, the average start time for public schools is 8:30 a.m.
2. Which of the senators below was not a co-sponsor of Sen. Kamala Harris’s legislation known as the Family Friendly Schools Act (S.2784)?
a) Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
b) Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
c) Sen. Christopher A. Coons (D-DE)
d) Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
3. Which of the organizations below support the Family Friendly Schools Act legislation?
a) American Federation of Teachers
b) Center for American Progress
c) Institute for Educational Leadership
d) All of the above
4. The National Center for Education Statistics is the primary federal entity for collecting, analyzing, and reporting data related to education in the United States and in foreign countries.
Balanced Budget Amendment
1. Of the three main categories of the United States federal budget, which category does Medicare fall under?
a) Mandatory spending
b) Discretionary spending
c) Interest on debt
2. Military and defense spending fall under mandatory spending.
3. The United States federal government shutdown of 2018–2019 lasted ______and was the longest U.S. government shutdown in history.
a) 19 days
b) 24 days
c) 35 days
4. According to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), annual mandatory spending will increase to about ___% of GDP by 2027.
5. According to Pew Research, since ______, Congress has never passed more than a third of its regular appropriations bills on time.