Trivia Answers – October 2016 Election Issue
1. Four U.S. presidents lost the popular vote but won the presidency through the Electoral College voting results. Match each president with the opposing candidate and year.
__ 1. John Quincy Adams won over Andrew Jackson in 1824
___ 2. Rutherford B Hayes won over Samuel J Tilden in 1876
___ 3. Benjamin Harrison won over Grover Cleveland in 1888
___ 4. George W. Bush won over Al Gore in 2000
a. Al Gore in 2000
b. Samuel J Tilden in 1876
c. Grover Cleveland in 1888
d. Andrew Jackson in 1824
2. How many electoral votes are necessary to elect the U.S. president?
1. Who was the only U.S. president to serve two non-consecutive terms?
a. Grover Cleveland
b. Franklin D. Roosevelt
c. Woodrow Wilson
d. John Adams
2. The first presidential election took place in _____.
3. Every U.S. president since 1852 has been either a Republican or a Democrat.
4. There have been ___ presidential elections and ____ presidents in U.S. history.
a. 57 presidential elections, 44 presidents
b.52 presidential elections, 42 presidents
c. 49 presidential elections, 53 presidents